2000 grads

The first graduating class of Gender Studies majors in 2000

Leila Ahmed

Lelia Ahmed gives a lecture in May 2012

Alison Bechdel and student

Alison Bechdel speaks with a student at an exhibition of her work

Lauren Berlant and Mel Chen

Professor Lauren Berlant introducing guest speaker Mel Chen

Lauren Berlant and Kristen Schilt

Professors Lauren Berlant and Kristen Schilt participate in a zine making workshop

Hillary Chute and Alison Bechdel

Professor Hillary Chute and Alison Bechdel


Students participate in a classroom discussion at CSGS

Community room

The Community Room at 5733 S University

center door

Center entrance

2011 fellows

CSGS Fellows in 2011

5733 exterior

The exterior of 5733 S University

Student question

A student asks a question after a talk by Kimberly Peirce in October 2011

Academic Programs

Gender and Sexuality Studies at the University of Chicago encompasses diverse disciplines, modes of inquiry, and objects of knowledge. As the Center continually seeks to meet the needs of interested students, there are a number of options for undergraduate and graduate students to incorporate the study of gender and sexuality into their curriculum.

Undergraduates can choose to complete a major or minor in Gender and Sexuality Studies, while PhD students who have completed the required course work, written a research paper or thesis chapter, and participated in the Gender and Sexuality Studies Workshop will earn a Graduate Certificate. We sponsor workshops, lectures and symposia of interest to undergraduate and graduate students. In the Spring of 2014 the Center formed an undergraduate Student Steering Committee to conceptualize and organize programming and to otherwise provide input about the Center’s activities and mission. We also encourage and support graduate student initiatives for conferences and speakers. Each year, the Center offers two CSGS Dissertation Fellowships, one CSRPC-CSGS Dissertation Fellowship, and four or five CSGS Residential Fellowships. Further, the Center can provide some research support when funds are available.